Old December 18th 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

On Dec 18, 3:38*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

It would be a co-incidence if the southbound trains to Moorgate exactly
co-incided (at Farringdon) with the northbound ones from Moorgate. You
can claim it would always be timetabled thus, but such things are
exactly what makes a timetable impossible to deliver in practice.

Actually they did do that at Farringdon, and this is no more than the
sort of detailed timetabling that has to go into the planning of every
single location where there are conflicts.

Parallel running they call it - how do you think locations like
Borough Market Junction work without it.

Not delivered in practice to the nearest microsecond no, but delivered
it is and it works.

When I used to commute on that line 3 years ago the number of people going to
moorgate far exceeded the numbers going south via city thameslink

But the new service will be introducing many more useful "through
routes" than the old one ever delivered.

Moorgate trains were full enough to justify their existence.

I used them as often as I possibly could to get to and from that area
- and did so ever since I moved to Luton 20+ years ago.

--
Nick