Old December 19th 09, 12:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Recliner wrote:

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully
decommissioned. As at today, Thursday, the branch has been
completely dewired, final removals occurring adjacent to the LUL
sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling has also been switched
out. Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that
track recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in
days of yore.

Cue the usual speculation of outlandish schemes for express routes, DLR
extensions, etc...

Apparently not!

Maybe nobody's come up with any new ones. The standard ones now are (a) an
entirely ineffective SSL express track, (b) a largely ineffective SSL
laypver point, (c) a highly effective, but phenomenally expensive and
probably impractical, DLR extension north of Bank, and (d) a last-minute
rerouting of a mile or so of Crossrail. Anyone got anything else?

How about surfacing the Northern City line at Moorgate, and taking it to
Farringdon? That's even barmier and more useless than the DLR option.

tom

--
All bloggers must die.