Old December 23rd 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Escalators at St Pancras International

In message , at 10:00:13 on
Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Batman55 remarked:
I'm sorry? Are you saying that people passing a point, say half way
down the escalator at speed X in 2 columns will carry more than one
column at speed X and the other at 3-4X (which is what walking achieves)?

I doubt that walking down more than doubles the throughout, and against
that you have to balance the increased separation between walkers compared
with standees.

To save further argument (which I realise is not the objective of the
group), see
http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/publicati...outamDutta.pdf which
explains everything!

Thanks for the reference.

It mainly explains that there's not an easy answer!

The main result seems to be that walking and standing capacity are
pretty much equal, unless you have very experienced walkers, in which
case it improves for them slightly.