Old December 24th 09, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry[_2_] Paul Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Escalators at St Pancras International

In message , Batman55
writes

According to the paper I quoted the other day LUL escalators move generally
at 43.2 m/min. I can't find a Moscow figure but speeds up to 60 m/min are
considered acceptable for public use, it appears.

According to "The Vertical Transportation Handbook" (1998, available on
Google Books) speeds of up to 61 m/min are used on the Moscow metro -
although it states that this is primarily to reduce the travelling time
on its very long escalators rather than to increase handling capacity.

It adds that modern escalator speeds (presumably in the USA) have been
standardised at 30 m/min.

--
Paul Terry