Old December 27th 09, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Northern Heights

On Dec 26, 2:30*pm, "Basil Jet"
On 25 Dec, 11:19, Fig wrote:

Much better.
Very educational and pretty amusing to.
I think he made a small error right at the end though, by using the
old Blackfriars Railway Bridge to illustrate 'unfinished London'?

I agree. *It's also hardly correct to say that Beeching had 'An
incurable phobia of trains'.

His phobia was of railways that hardly had any trains.

*thread drift*

How on earth did BR and Beeching justify closing the assorted London
railways that were axed?

While I know London's population was in decline at the time, it never
went much below seven million - so something like Finsbury Park to
Edgware via Highgate should hardly have been bracketed along with the
many "slow route from nowhere-in-Wales to nowhere-in-Wales via nowhere-
in-England"-type cuts that were rightly made.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org