Old December 27th 09, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Heights

In article
,
(John B) wrote:

On Dec 26, 2:30*pm, "Basil Jet"
On 25 Dec, 11:19, Fig wrote:

Much better.
Very educational and pretty amusing to.
I think he made a small error right at the end though, by using the
old Blackfriars Railway Bridge to illustrate 'unfinished London'?

I agree. *It's also hardly correct to say that Beeching had 'An
incurable phobia of trains'.

His phobia was of railways that hardly had any trains.

*thread drift*

How on earth did BR and Beeching justify closing the assorted London
railways that were axed?

While I know London's population was in decline at the time, it never
went much below seven million - so something like Finsbury Park to
Edgware via Highgate should hardly have been bracketed along with the
many "slow route from nowhere-in-Wales to nowhere-in-Wales via nowhere-
in-England"-type cuts that were rightly made.

Were any of the London closures that actually happened really Beeching's?
I know he had it in for the North London but it didn't close, quite the
contrary in the long run. The Ally Pally passenger service went in 1956.
Were even Palace Gates and Belmont Beeching closures? The Turkey St loop
reopened in his time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel