Old December 27th 09, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Northern Heights

On Dec 27, 7:41*pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

Were even Palace Gates and Belmont Beeching closures?

Yes, along with the Staines West and Uxbridge Vine Street branches. But
the only major proposal in the London area was to close the NLL which,
of course, never happened.

People often forget that Beeching was not "anti-rail" - in fact, he
promoted the inter-city and freight-liner networks. He was simply very
conscious of the fact that slow, rural branches which had never paid
their way were becoming an enormous drain on resources as car ownership
increased in the 1960s.

Yes, I agree with this to some extent - but I don't understand how the
London railways (including the proposal to shut the NLL) or the GCML
fit into the narrative.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org