Old December 28th 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Furley Stephen Furley is offline

Default Northern Heights

On 28/12/09 19:47, in article ,
" wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:36:19 +0000, Stephen Furley
wrote:

There's not a great deal more in London that has closed, is there? Elmers
End to Selsdon, again competition, and a few line lines in the East End,
around the docks and Beckton gas works, wartime damage, and then declining
industry.

Hammersmith and Chiswick.
Acton Town -South Acton.
Kew Bridge .

And on the extremes of London at the time it hard to imagine that the
District railway stations in the Hounslow area had periods of closure
in the early days due to to lack of patronage.

Cricklewood to Acton via Dudding Hill Junction would be another one I'd
forgotten, but again long before Beeching's time, like most of the closures
in London.

Uxbridge Belmont Road would be another one, but only a very short length of
line was closed to divert to the new station. More recently, parts of the
DLR, South of Crossharbour, again due to diversion to a new alignment. and
the last part of the original route into platform 4 at Stratford, though
this was only a few tens of metres.

Gas factory Junction - Bow Junction, via Bow Road. I'm not quite sure why
that one closed. Electrified, but regular passenger service withdrawn
before it could be used.

South of Newbury Park to East of Ilford due to takeover of parts of the GER
lines by the Central line. I don't think there were any stations on that
section.

Getting desperate now, King William Street due to pointing in the wrong
direction and being too small, steep and tightly curved.

Canonbury to Finsbury Park. Service diverted to Moorgate rather than Broad
Street.

A few odd curves, like from the North London into Fenchurch Street.

Bishopsgate high Level, replaced by Liverpool Street.

Ok, it's getting silly now, but it makes the point that hardly anything in
London was closed to passengers by recommendation of Beeching. Most
closures were long before his time, and were made for good reasons.

He did recognise the importance of the London Commuter services, but thought
the fares o them needed to rise.