Old December 29th 09, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On 29 Dec, 13:19, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:47:24 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
Which is particularly bonkers, since a bus journey can't exactly be
extended beyond zones.

On a few routes it is possible but these are not TfL routes just LLSA
[1] services.

Again, despite my deep suspicion of everything Oyster, I don't believe
this is going to be used for PF purposes. *I am sure that it's just an
attempt to get people into the habit of touching all the time, given
all the potential problems (which can't all be solved anyway). *It's
one of those "terms and conditions" things that they can fall back on
if someone does try something on but there's no other technical
offence they can get them on.

I understand that the level of expected compliance is going to be ramped
up over a number of months. This gives people time to get used to
touching in even if they have Travelcards. *Notices appeared a few
months ago giving advance warning that everyone on staff passes had to
touch in on routes with remote readers. *I touch in anyway on bendies
even though it's not strictly necessary. *Not sure what is proposed for
holders of Freedom Passes.

The use of PFs goes well beyond what Parliament agreed to in the first
place, in my opinion, but if they are going to PF people who have paid
their fare and can prove that they have and who have no means, while
on the bus, of travelling beyond their validity, they will definitely
end up in court, and I will be among lynch mob outside.

But I can't believe that they really intend to do anything so
ridiculous.

I don't believe they are going to reprogram all the bus inspector
machines not to give a green light to valid travelcards. *What kind of
entry/exit gets registered with a bus touch anyway?

Clearly only an entry is registered but if people change to another mode
or another bus as part of an overall journey then patterns of usage can
be derived if the timings for validation look OK relative to journey /
interchange time.

PS Or is this just to prepare for debendification? *It's normal to
touch a travelcard in front of a straight bus driver who has the
responsibility of checking that you've got a valid ticket.

I don't see how. Once a route goes to double deck then that's it -
everyone on at the front and everyone touches in. *

That's what I said. Is this change simply in recognition of the fact
that with debendification, there will not be a situation in which
anyone gets on a bus with no need to either touch or show something to
the driver? That would make sense.

Planning to PF everyone with a travelcard who hasn't carried out a
separate arbitrary action would, I think, be illegal. It would be
purely a trap to earn them extra cash, and would protect no revenue
whatsoever since it would only apply to people who could prove that
they had paid the correct fare. They can't justify inventing rules
purely for the purpose of fining people for breaking the rules.

Not sure what's going
to happy on the NBFL which will apparently allow boarding and alighting
through all doors (like a rigid bendy)!?

[1] London Local Service Agreement (former section 3/2 routes).

--
Paul C