Old December 31st 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Pre Pay Oyster or annual travelcard?

David Walters wrote

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:07:52 +0000, Paul Terry wrote:

Sunil Sood writes
Does anyone know of a website which is able to calculate whether

using
PAYG Oyster or an annual Travelcard is better value for an

individual?

I don't, but I can't see how PAYG would ever be cheaper than an

annual
Travelcard for somebody making the same journey for 5 days a week
throughout most of the year.

It used to be for me. Zone 4 into zone 1 at 2.80 each way, 5 days a
week for 46 weeks a year (bank holidays and 4 weeks annual leave) is
1288 rather than 1472 for an annual travel card.

In 2010 PAYG increases to 1426 which makes it close enough that a
travelcard is worth it for the added flexibility.

So any such website would need an estimate of your normal travel plus
how often you took a bus rather than walking (£1.00 extra) plus how
often you left for work after 9:30 or started your journey home after
19.00 (£0.60 less for each - overtime or shifts or after work evening
shopping). Best case would reduce 1288 to 1012 for comparison with the
annual 1472.

--
Mike D