Old January 2nd 10, 01:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Pre Pay Oyster or annual travelcard?

On 1 Jan, 22:18, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On 1 Jan, 19:49, asdf wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:42:47 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
My suspicion is that it is a combination of saving money and a
continued push to put everything on the web. While the web is a
wonderful thing it is not, IMO, a substitute for freely available
printed documents. I have similar grumbles about the lack of proper
bus timetables.

As well as the push to put everything on the web, there seems to be a
marked decrease in the openness of information. The trend seems to be
to only provide it on a sort of "need-to-know" basis.

For example, they no longer provide the zonal fare tables or Tube
timetables; they only allow you to query the fare between two
particular stations or get Tube times for a particular point in time.

I am reminded of my comments in the thread about the Thames and, more
importantly, zones disappearing from the LU map.

All this makes it much more difficult to notice whether fares have
been increased or services have been reduced, both of which are going
to happen.

While I understand that removing the zones probably has that effect, I
don't see how removing the Thames from the Tube map could do so.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I was referring to what the thread was about, in which I made comments
about the removal of zones.

The removal of the Thames is a different issue, since it was the last
barrier preventing the southern hordes from invading north London. No
wonder Boris was furious.