Old January 2nd 10, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Unable to pick up Oyster from NR in Jan 10

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Paul Scott
writes

SWT still conspicuously absent from the list. I'd assume they are still
in
dispute with DfT because they were required to fit ITSO readers to all
their
TVMs.

Yes, they are continuing to complain about ITSO incompatibility (which I'm
surprised is not sorted out by now).

Thanks for the pointer, that FAQ response seems fairly recent:

"Whilst Oyster PAYG will be accepted for travel across our services within
the London Zones, the top up facility will not be available at South West
Trains' stations, except Richmond and Wimbledon where we interface directly
with London Underground. This is as a result of the South West Trains
franchise being selected by the Government to become the first in the UK to
introduce ITSO smartcard technology which means our ticket machines are not
currently able to accept both ITSO and Oyster smartcards.
Any passengers wishing to top up their Oyster card can do so by visiting the
South West Trains website for an easy link through to the Oyster top up
facility on TfL's website, or can check information available within our
stations advising them of the nearest location to top up their Oyster card."

As we've discussed here before, it also isn't really SWT's problem to sort
out. Their franchise spec shows that it is the DfT who were to ensure that
TfL's systems would be made compatible with ITSO. Looks like DfT signed up
to something THEY couldn't provide.

Paul S