Old January 2nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unable to pick up Oyster from NR in Jan 10

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

Hmm. Why is the TfL Single Fare finder still showing the 2009 version,
with only a link to the next fares (2010)?

That'll be because the website editors have been off work for the bank
holiday and weekend - I expect it'll disappear next week.

But if you navigate to 'Tickets' via the TfL home page both fare
finders are equally visible.

Looking there I see the off-peak Oyster fare Kings Cross St Pancras to
Putney is now £2.80, 50p more than Kings Cross St Pancras to East
Putney.

So much for a zonal fares system! Putney and East Putney are both in
zones 2 and 3.

This seems to indicate that despite being a regular poster in
uk.transport.london you've not noticed all the previous discussions
about Oyster on NR.

But if you look for Off-Peak (i.e. involving an overnight stay) Returns to
Putney from Cambridge, the fare to Putney is £21.70 with railcard discount
while that to Zone 2 including East Putney is £21.80. For a day trip there
is the Day Travelcard option, pricing the King's Cross to Putney/East
Putney leg at £4.30 return either way. However, the Oyster railcard
off-peak daily cap is £3.70, so I suppose that will always be better now
for off-peak travel.

The differences between tube, rail, and tube+rail fares are pointed out
in that document 'Mr Thant' linked to for you on the 31st at 1945.

That does not justify the failure to complete London's zonal fares system
and again hits suburban South London hardest. I suppose central government
is as much to blame for this as TFL, but nevertheless it's sad that this
remains unresolved.

--
Colin Rosenstiel