Old January 2nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris[_2_] Chris[_2_] is offline

Default New years day service - or lack thereof

On 1 Jan, 23:12, wrote:
Do they? *I've learnt something then as I hadn't appreciated it was now
on a fixed date. It used to be the first Sunday in January when I was
involved in the fares revision process (a long time ago!).

1/1/11 is a Saturday...

Whatever. The annual fare increase date seems to have crept forward over
the years. Looks like it was the first weekend in January when I started
working in London in 2001/2. Looks like the 2 January date was effective
from at least 2006, though.

Yes, it's fixed again - they'd do it on January 1st, but didn't want
to pay overtime at super-enhanced rates to the staff that need to
update everything necessary. Also, I reckon, because transport
operates all night on New Year's Eve and it would be confusing if fare
rises happened during opening hours.