Old January 3rd 10, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David A Stocks[_3_] David A Stocks[_3_] is offline

Default London Bridge interchange

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In message , Sir Benjamin Nunn
wrote:
Does anybody know why - given that both Jubilee Line platforms were of
completely new build, and one of the Northern Line platforms was laterally
resited - the interchange was not made more convenient and accessible.

[...]
Couldn't they have put the Jubilee at a direct right angle to the Northern
Line, at a slightly lower level and with an equally generous 'island'
between the platforms, then just had a bank of escalators from platform
level to platform level?

I have an axonmetric diagram (it says) of the station. From it, it appears
that the Jubilee crosses the Northern well south of the latter's
platforms. I presume there's a good reason it was sent that way rather
than under the Northern Line - perhaps to reduce the curvature and the
length of the line, since I believe the Northern Line station is roughly
under the main line bridge across Borough High Street.

I understand the building to the left of the bus in this picture

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...1. 81,,0,5.53

is part of the original Northern Line station building at the head of the
lift shaft, now a ventilation shaft. If so, the south end of the tube
platforms will be slightly north of this location, probably the other side
of the main line bridge.

D A Stocks