Old January 7th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Do you live above a tube tunnel?

On 7 Jan 2004 11:03:55 -0800, (umpston) wrote:

[noise from tunnels]
My sister's house is above the Central Line tunnels and you can hear a
very low rumbling sound when all else is quiet - it is almost felt
rather than heard. They are used to it but when I stay the night the
first train in the morning sometimes wakes me up. The house is about
100 years old and some cracks and settlement were noted by the
surveyor when they bought it - but nothing serious or unusual for a
property of that age.

She also has the DLR running behind her back garden and a bus garage
at the front - but she seems to be happy there!

she must live in Bow then!

In addition to the widely reported 'disappearance into the void' of a
number of back gardens in Stratford there are also apparaently cracks
appearing in properties in Romford Road above the Channel Tunnel Rail
Link. Apparently the official response is that the tunneling may well
have caused limited ground settlement and Union Railways have offered
to survey the properties and repair any damage caused by this.

they are required to do so under the order / act that allowed the
construction of the link. It is standard practice for such undertakings
to be made.
--
Paul C