Old January 3rd 10, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pre Pay Oyster or annual travelcard?

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 3 Jan, 12:30, wrote:
In article

,

(MIG) wrote:
On 3 Jan, 03:42, asdf wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:40:25 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:
A FoI request to TfL has revealed some more information about
OEPs.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...ension_permits

Of interest is a full list of National Rail self-service
machines where PAYG can be added.

The added stations can be used to pick up online purchases and
auto-topup from the 13th January.

Look at this bit

"If the customer completes their journey within the zones covered
by their season ticket, the OEP will remain on their card. If
requested, you must remove the OEP from their Oyster card to
make sure they do not incur an incomplete journey whilst
travelling within the zones covered by their season ticket."

So are they saying that if you get an OEP and then don't travel
out of your zones, you get an incomplete journey?

Only if you don't touch out. You have an "unresolved journey bomb"
(a phrase you yourself coined in post
)
which lingers on your card and goes off if you don't touch out.

But I thought the conclusion then was that they OEP stayed till you
needed it.

Why the threat to demand its removal then?

In any case, the timing would be very tight. *Do you start your OEP
journey, get a call to get off somewhere different (all within your
zones) and have to remember to remove the OEP, assuming you are at
an LU station where you can, before the timeout or else get an
unresolved journey?

If you touch out within your zones the OEP-initiated charge is
cancelled so the bomb is defused, surely?

"Surely" is not the word to use in this context ...

The bomb is not defused, just "deprimed". It primes itself next time
you touch in.

Fair enough.

It took me a while to work out, but I think that the risky context
must be when you know that you didn't use your OEP, although you
avoided a penalty by touching out in your zones, but next week you
plan to extend outside of London with a paper ticket. If the OEP was
still lurking on your card, that journey would be unresolved (if you
touched in to start it).

This ain't exactly obvious from the briefing though, is it?

I see. So, why so little publicity to Oyster Season Ticket holders?

--
Colin Rosenstiel