Old January 4th 10, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Oyster Extension Permits (OEPs)

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:21:03 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:

On 3 Jan, 15:32, asdf wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 03:20:19 -0800 (PST), Daniel wrote:
It seems bonkers to me too, but has it ever been suggested that NR
stations can issue OEPs?

Could there also be some cross-london journeys where travelcard
holders without the central zones on their tickets could require two
(or more) OEPs (due to the original OEP being cancelled by a gateline
en-route)? I suspect that ticket-holders with this type of ticket
could see some non-optimal charges as well.

Yes, I think that could happen. For example, the holder of a Z23
Travelcard wishes to travel from Finsbury Park (Z2) to Thornton Heath
(Z4), changing at Moorgate (Z1) and Balham (Z2). An OEP is needed from
the start of the journey, due to starting at a LU station and
travelling out-of-zone on FCC. However, this OEP is removed by the
touch-out at Balham (LU) (due to having travelled out-of-zone), so a
second OEP needs to be added in order to avoid a PF when travelling
out-of-zone (again...) to Thornton Heath on Southern.

Would it be removed at Balham though? Balham is in the zones and the
route could have been via Finsbury Park. It doesn't seem likely that
it would work that way based on assumed route unless you touched out
at an NR-only station in zone 1.

Hmm. If that's the case it means that if you have a Z23 Travelcard and
want to travel from Kentish Town to Herne Hill, you need an OEP for
the journey, but the OEP is not removed at the end of the journey, so
you're stuck with it and have to go out of your way to get rid of it.