Old January 6th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London Bridge interchange

In message , at 22:28:41 on Tue, 5 Jan
2010, David A Stocks remarked:
The C&SLR tunnels are above the Northern Line tunnels, so don't have
to be "threaded around". They also curve sharply just beyond the
station

... although the C&SLR didn't have a station at London Bridge, but I
know what you mean

Having been in the C&SLR tunnels, and looked down (through some
ventilation grills) on the passengers on the Northern Line platform
below, I tend to conflate the two.

to cross the river west of the bridge, whereas the Northern Line goes
to the right.

The pre-1830 London Bridge was about 30m downstream of the current
bridge, so the Northern Line probably runs between the two sets of
foundations. This would make sense because I believe it was pre-1830
bridge foundations (which had been there for about 600 years when the
bridge was demolished) that were considered to be a bigger problem than
the either of the successor bridges.

It would also surprise me to find that the Northern Line platforms
went under the river, so that sets some kind of bound upon the
southern end. From the "liftshaft building" to the river bank is
400ft, so that's about seven cars.

I can't find any plans/diagrams of the station online, but various
pages on subterranea britannica etc. agree with my memory of the
station. The passages from the bottom of the main escalator to the
platforms didn't change much when the station was enlarged and you
could still see where the bottom of the lift shaft was when I last went
through. These pages

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/..._Street_5.html
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/RaggaJohn.html

have some particularly relevant detail.

From that I gather that the old liftshaft is exactly at the passage from
the escalators to the platforms (and when I was exploring the area maybe
that was down some old emergency stairs immediately to the south). But
the platforms have been extended slightly south as part of the station
re-build. However, it's therefore very likely the platform's northern
end is on the Thames shoreline.