Old January 7th 10, 09:00 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Brian Watson[_2_] Brian Watson[_2_] is offline

Default Snow disruption Cambridge/London (from the OP)

tim.... wrote:

Is London enduring a snowy apocalypse or are we in with a
reasonable chance
of making the journey ok by rail?

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported
that many London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at
20:00, so whilst you might be able to get to the show you might not
get back

We made it there and back RELATIVELY without incident.

The line to KX WAS on the emergency timetable but it got us there and back
(I think it was 22.50 departure from KX) in reasonable time, though it was a
most-stopper.

The only problems involved the train doors on the return journey doors,
which were icing up and needed a fair amount of prizing apart and shoving to
get them closed again.

A "Britain Can Take It" spirit prevailed and the passengers pitched in each
time some poor sod was getting desperate about getting off the train, or
when the driver sent a message over the PA to close a reluctant door.

Incidentally, Chicago (the musical) was dull, VERY dull, with some soap star
bloke trying to sing the male lead without much success or conviction, and
Ruthie Henshall and the rest of the cast looking like they'd all rather be
somewhere else so they could enjoy themselves a bit.

Just my opinion, of course, but it was the first West End show I've been to
that didn't get anything like a standing ovation - at least, we didn't see
one from our POV in the Circle - nor was there a jolly reprise (apart from a
second round of walk-downs from the stars that looked a bit perfunctory).

The most entertaining thing in the theatre last night was a mouse trotting
to and fro at the back of the Circle. He or she may or may not have lasted
the night, rodent bait having been placed behind our seats.

All in all, it reminded me of WC Field's reported last words, "I'd rather be
in Philadelphia."

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop