Old January 7th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Batman55 Batman55 is offline

Default London Railway Atlas

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
, MaxB
writes

I'd never heard of Commercial Dock station : anyone know where it was?

It was on the London to Greenwich line, about half a mile west of Surrey
Canal junction. The name refers to the Surrey Commercial Docks (which
were not particularly close!).

There seems to be very little information about the station, and I have
no idea of dates, but the short-lived Southwark Station (1902-1915) was
built on or very close to the site.

The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on two of
the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can only assume
the OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap, but when you look at how
little of Southwark Park remains visible from a passing train (located
just to the west) it is quite possible Commercial Dock was completely
obliterated much earlier. The site isn't noted in the current Quail track
plans, although Southwark Park is shown.

Paul S

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as a quiz
for those without the Atlas!!! Incidentally Southern Region Chronology and
Record shows it as Commercial DockS. Thanks anyway to all concerned.

MaxB