Old January 7th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Do you live above a tube tunnel?

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:26:15 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

I don't live above a tube tunnel. However the Crossrail tunnels are
likely to be far deeper than tube tunnels.

Actually the Crossrail tunnel from the Great Western main line to Chiswick
will be 17 - 18 metres below the surface, which I think is about average
for tube tunnels in London.

Even in Central London, the Crossrail tunnels will run *above* the Jubilee,
Northern, Central, and Piccadilly lines in the Oxford Stret/Holborn area.
There is a vertical section through the central part of the route at
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/genericpanels/$FILE/central+london+stations.pdf

--
Richard J.