Old January 12th 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default How is the T-Cup doing...

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article i,
Tom Anderson wrote:
Transfer the Hammersmith branch to Crossrail.

Crossrail platforms are 240m long, IIRC. C-Stock trains are 6 car and
are - what, 90m long or so? I'm not sure how expensive it would be to
doble the length of all the stations en-route, but my gut feel is
"lots".

More precisely, "****ing masses".

Now, 7-car S-stock is, AIUI, going to be able to work the Hammersmith
branch without any platform extensions, and those trains are 117.4 m long.
Crossrail trains are pairs of five-car units, where i assume each car is
the usual 20 metres long, so 200 m. But half a train is 100 m long ...

Failing that, turn it into a GW branch that terminates at Paddington.

Which would remove a lot of the utility of the line.

An argument which failed to save the Circle!

tom

--
No Hype Just Science