Old January 14th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How is the T-Cup doing...

In article
,
(martin) wrote:

On Jan 13, 11:39*pm, wrote:
In article , ]
(Steve Fitzgerald) wrote:
In message ,
writes

DLTs?

Presumably Deep Level Tubes

Ah! I wouldn't presume to try taking my bike on the deep level
tubes, even in the open sections. The space take is rather more
disproportionate than on surface stock.

He was right about DLT. *We do get a few bikes on west of Barons
Court though.

and you leave them be? Even out of peak hours they could be a real
problem, I'd have thought.

Rules is rules; they's allowed to travel on all open sections. *
It's not for me to disagree.

Well I never! I was wrong all this time. Sorry about that. I thought
the limitation was on the trains not on the lines.

TfL have had, for some time now, a map online of where you can take a
bike on the tube:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...e-tube-map.pdf
(it's also displayed at some stations - White City has one)

This page lists other modes of transport which allow cycles:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11701.aspx

I've not come across them before, I suspect because, not living in London,
my source of information on this has always mainly been via BR and the
TOCs. Also, was there a time in the past when bikes were only carried on
the surface lines and not on any tube lines?

I note "You must not take a non-folding bicycle onto a moving escalator"
there. I've taken my bike on the escalator up to the street from the
Liverpool St main line concourse to the street. The rebuilding replaced a
step-free route on that alignment which has only been partly replaced
later by a very roundabout route through the Broadgate centre. It's never
caused any problems. You do need to hold the bike correctly, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel