Old January 16th 10, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Jamie Thompson Jamie  Thompson is offline

Default Oyster PAYG & Virgin

On Jan 16, 8:30*pm, Andy wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:47*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 03:44:10 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I can't say I noticed a big increase in overcrowding for the few weeks
before the timetable change.

There was a noticeable step-change in the overcrowding of the 1824...

But the overcrowding on the 1824 didn't get sorted out until December
2009 I must say I didn't notice it getting particularly worse than
before, but it wasn't one of my regular evening trains. It doesn't
take many extra passengers for a LM service to go from comfortable
standing room to nasty overcrowding. At the time we were talking about
(November - December 2007) the normal pre-Christmas busy period was
just getting started. I generally find this is the busiest time of
year on the slightly later evening peak trains from Euston.

Speaking of overcrowding...

I did wonder when the new trains started turning up why they didn't
just admit there was a problem and stick hand straps along the ceiling
of the trains...it wouldn't have cost much and would make them much
easier to use when overcrowded. As it is, a lot of the time,
especially in the vestibules, if you're not flat against the doors or
the dividers you can't reach the grab bars, and are forced to steady
yourself as best you can without getting too 'friendly' with those
around you when you get bumped around (I'm looking at you track around
Wembley/Willesden).