Old January 18th 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
martin martin is offline

Default How do you spell Haringey?

On Jan 17, 2:55*pm, wrote:
In article , (Brian

Robertson) wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -http://www.haringey.gov.uk/but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay..

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a
London Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay

When I were a lad Harringay was a dog stadium.

According to a note at the very end of this page, in the 1930s they
tried to race cheetahs the
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bconlon/glias.htm

As for spelling, the council and the railways are both right; plenty
of local businesses seem to get it wrong - eg 'Haringay' and
'Harringey'