Old January 19th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Matthew Geier[_4_] Matthew Geier[_4_] is offline

Default Oyster Top-up Queries

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:15:12 +0100, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

How is the uploading done?

I don't know the specifics in this case, but it's often by 802.11 wifi,
when the bus drives into the garage, it makes contact with the LAN and
downloads it's data.

Here (Kristiansand) we use ticket machines that are always online via
GPRS.

Part of the attraction of a 'smart card' system is that they CAN run off-
line - they trust the data in card. (In theory,the Mifare classic Oyster
uses has been compromised.) Then they don't have to worry about the
effect of a loss of mobile phone signal.