Old January 19th 10, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Andy Andy is offline

Default Oyster Top-up Queries

On Jan 19, 11:54*am, "John Salmon" wrote:
"John Salmon" wrote

"John Salmon" wrote

(2) I noticed that the machine showed that the Oyster card was loaded
with a Zones 1-4 Weekly Travelcard for a specific week in 2007, and it
offered me the option of renewing it. *I have never had any Travelcard
loaded on the Oyster card, indeed I've never used any kind of Weekly
Travelcard. *I did wonder whether this situation is in some way related
to the fact that this particular card was one I obtained by post (to
Retford) during the short period that 'free' (i.e. without £3 deposit)
cards were on offer. I can't remember when that was - perhaps 2007? *I
think that at that time only cards with a Travelcard loaded were normally
issued free, so did TfL load an 'expired' Travelcard on all those free
Oyster cards?

I don't know about parts 1) and 3), but I have seen reports of 'new'
Oystercards which are actually second-hand. I suppose it is possible
that you acquired an (unregistered?) old Oyster which had a weekly
ticket upon it in the past. Once the card was registered, it
'remembered' the old weekly ticket loaded by the previous owner.