Old January 19th 10, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Nick P Nick P is offline

Default Oyster Top-up Queries

"John Salmon" wrote in message
"John Salmon" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote
I've only recently started using Oyster PAYG on a semi-regular basis. I
topped up on Tuesday using the FCC ticket machine next to the ticket
office at St Pancras International. I have a couple of queries:

(1) The top-up location on my journey history is shown as "Bus". Why
would that be?

(2) I noticed that the machine showed that the Oyster card was loaded
with a Zones 1-4 Weekly Travelcard for a specific week in 2007, and it
offered me the option of renewing it. I have never had any Travelcard
loaded on the Oyster card, indeed I've never used any kind of Weekly
Travelcard. I did wonder whether this situation is in some way related
to the fact that this particular card was one I obtained by post (to
Retford) during the short period that 'free' (i.e. without £3 deposit)
cards were on offer. I can't remember when that was - perhaps 2007? I
think that at that time only cards with a Travelcard loaded were
normally issued free, so did TfL load an 'expired' Travelcard on all
those free Oyster cards?

Sorry, one more query:

(3) I haven't topped up my card since Tuesday. The journey history is
up-to-date to Wednesday and shows my current balance as £3.91, but the
that doesn't appear anywhere in the journey history. Can anyone suggest
an explanation?

There is a difference here of £7.30. I suspect this is the maximum chargable
amount for a journey at the time you travelled (Day Travelcard rate), this
gets taken off at start of journey and the difference refunded according to
the actual length of journey. If you don't touch out you are charged the
full rate.

HTH,
Nick