Old January 19th 10, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John Salmon[_4_] John Salmon[_4_] is offline

Default Oyster Top-up Queries

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:54:57 -0000, "John Salmon"
wrote:

"John Salmon" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote
I've only recently started using Oyster PAYG on a semi-regular basis.
topped up on Tuesday using the FCC ticket machine next to the ticket
office at St Pancras International. I have a couple of queries:

(1) The top-up location on my journey history is shown as "Bus". Why
would that be?

(2) I noticed that the machine showed that the Oyster card was loaded
with a Zones 1-4 Weekly Travelcard for a specific week in 2007, and it
offered me the option of renewing it. I have never had any Travelcard
loaded on the Oyster card, indeed I've never used any kind of Weekly
Travelcard. I did wonder whether this situation is in some way related
to the fact that this particular card was one I obtained by post (to
Retford) during the short period that 'free' (i.e. without £3 deposit)
cards were on offer. I can't remember when that was - perhaps 2007? I
think that at that time only cards with a Travelcard loaded were
normally
issued free, so did TfL load an 'expired' Travelcard on all those free
Oyster cards?

Sorry, one more query:

(3) I haven't topped up my card since Tuesday. The journey history is
up-to-date to Wednesday and shows my current balance as £3.91, but the
that
doesn't appear anywhere in the journey history. Can anyone suggest an
explanation?

[now cross-posted to uk.railway]

OK, a day and a half has passed, and not a single reply. This could mean
(a) I've written complete rubbish so you're all ignoring me or (b) you've
all killfiled me, or even (c) no-one on utl knows any of the answers. I
*really* find (c) very difficult to believe, as I thought this group (utl)
was the fount of all knowledge on Oyster cards. Doesn't anyone have
anything to say?

I looked at your post and I do not understand why any of the outcomes
you have outlined could arise. That is why you have not had an answer -
I suspect people really do not know the answers.

If you have not already tried the Oyster Help Line then I suggest they
are your best port of call - they at least have access to the central
system and may be able to offer some explanation.

Thanks Paul. I'll try the Help Line, but I know from past experience that
I'll have to have plenty of time to spare. I'll report back in due course
if I learn anything of interest. I should add that I'm not in any way
anti-Oyster, but I do want to understand some of the apparently quirky
behaviour that I keep encountering.