Old January 20th 10, 03:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Sam Wilson Sam Wilson is offline

Default How do you spell Haringey?

In article
,
MIG wrote:

On 20 Jan, 10:35, Peter Beale wrote:
Peter Beale wrote:

* Êdimbourg or Pêkin

Sorry - Édimbourg or Pékin - I need to retype my list of ALT + numbers
in a larger font, the eyes aren't as good as they were! And yes, I do
know that accents are not essential on capitals.

Peter Beale

Why insert a letter m for the French? That's more likely to appear in
English pronunciation. In French, the sound before the b is a nasal
vowel, with the lips not closing till the b.

Because that's the way the French spell it. They'd pronounce it pretty
much the same way whether there was an 'm' or an 'n'. (One of) the
local phonetic spellings is Embra.

Sam