Old January 21st 10, 05:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
DW downunder DW downunder is offline

Default How do you spell Haringey?

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/01/2010 08:27, DW downunder wrote:

SNIP

I'm with you on that, mate. In our case, supposedly Aboriginal names are
used in place of "British" names.

Aren't there some cases where it was German names which were replaced,
with Aboriginal names replacing Kaiserbillville or something? (cf
Kitchener, Ontario)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

At the beginning of WW1, like the renaming of the royal household to the
House of Windsor, Battenberg to Mounbatten and so on, patriotic Australia
did likewise. The replacement names may have included some with Aboriginal
language references, but AFAIK, most were a clear declaration of British
Imperial patriotism. As they say, that's "the way we were."

DW downunder