Old January 22nd 10, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How do you spell Haringey?

In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but
the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came.
Manea still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

I wouldn't mention it either. It's pronounced completely differently for a
start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel