Old January 23rd 10, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
DW downunder DW downunder is offline

Default How do you spell Haringey?

wrote in message
In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

wrote in message
In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/
but the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably
wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came.
Manea still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

I wouldn't mention it either. It's pronounced completely differently
for a start.

So is it Wittel - sea, or Wittel - say, or Wittel - see - uh

Wittel - sea.

Man - ee - uh, Man - ay - ah or Man - ee

May - nee.

Jude - ay - ah and Jude - ee - ah seem to me equally common among
those who speak of the area, preachers being a large subgroup
thereof.

Pass. Not the same and Manea, anyway.

So, what am I to make of all this ..... while the good folks in
Whittlesea near Melbourne, Victoria are a little more concerned
about whether they will have a town to give a name to after the
severity of recent bushfires not only through Victoria, but we've
seen some serious wildfires occuring in Western Australia now.
Having put that in perspective, I've always known Whittlesea to be
Wittel - sea ... and the end of the line from Melbourne through
Epping.

I suppose you can't pronounce the village of Quy either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

It doesn't involve a change at Edgeware Rd, by any chance?

Ah, thought not. In that case, like approximately 98% of place names not
based on English, or my limited smattering of French and Hebrew, most likely
have to make a prat of myself, or humbly ask.

On the other hand, I do know that there's a Vale of Bee-vah, that horses go
round the Dah-bee and that Berks live in Bark-shar (all of which are
pronounced in a terribly un-British way over here). And if there was an
Arabic influence on Quy, it'd come out Guy (like guide), or with French
influence: Ghee (like glee, key, we, etc).

Colin - hope you've found a way with luggage, non-folding bicycle and
children/grandchildren tugging to get from A to B with least drama. There's
been a lot of thought put in by folks here about how to minimise the impact
of the T-Cup on one of those on the "losing" side of the balance sheet.

Cheers

DW downunder