Old January 23rd 10, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default South London Line issues [was: ELL Stock in Place]

On Jan 23, 1:03*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Mizter T wrote:

(1) London Bridge won't have space to accommodate [the SLL service] as
it'll have fewer terminating platforms as a result of the station's
redevelopment for the Thameslink Programme and won't have the capacity to
accommodate the SLL service - AIUI much of this redevelopment will happen
in tandem with the construction of the Shard skyscraper, because the
developers have to cough up x amount of money to contribute towards the
redevelopment of LB station. (My understanding is that the space
currently occupied by platforms 14-16 will become part of the Shard
development around the base of the tower.)

Huh. Is there somewhere i can read more about this? Will more platforms be
added to replace them? How?

The before and after drawings *(part of the Thameslink [1] enquiry) *for
London Bridge station don't show any significant reduction in the current
lengths of 14 -16. *If anything, it is the other remaining *terminating
platforms (equivalent to 11 - 13) that will be shortened to roughly where
the current footbridge is.

However the eventual 6 terminating platforms (10 - 15 when renumbered), will
be 3 twin track bays - the most southern platform will be against the
building wall, in other words, not facing the wall as now.

Separately, there seem to be proposals that all 6 terminating platforms
should be made 12 car capable - that isn't currently the plan, it looks like
the new P10 is relatively short because of the shape of the throat.

[1] I haven't a current link to them unfortunately...

Thanks Paul, sorry for spreading any misinformation about the fate of
the current platforms 14-16, I'd obviously got a wrong idea about the
eventual layout at LB.

Simple question - is the Shard development inherently responsible for
killing off any of the terminating platforms, or is all it might do to
make the remaining terminating platforms to be located a bit further
away from the current concourse i.e. push the buffer stops a little
way further towards the 'country end' of the station?

(For some reason I'd had this vague idea that the Shard was actually
going to be responsible for eating some of the platforms, but I think
I see now that I got that wrong - instead the most it'll do is shift
them further out a little bit, but all that's really happening is that
space in the station is simply being reallocated from the terminating
platforms over to expanding the number through platforms - right? If
so, the Shard itself isn't to blame for the SLL service being kicked
out of LB due to lack of space to accommodate it - as I'm sure I've
heard being suggested - but it's just the whole redevelopment of LB
for Thameslink that's behind it.)