Old January 23rd 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default South London Line issues [was: ELL Stock in Place]

On Jan 23, 2:22*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jan 23, 10:50*am, Andy wrote:

On Jan 23, 10:15*am, MIG wrote:

On 23 Jan, 01:05, Andy wrote:

[snip]
The Victoria - Dartford services actually run through Clapham High
Street platforms much of the time anyway; most switch to / from the
Chatham Reversible at Voltaire Road Junction, although in the past
many have gone via the low level lines. Since the loss of the Eurostar
services, the trains via Stewarts Lane have been reduced to a few Up
peak services.

I think that's pretty much all there ever was, even when Eurostar was
there. *The only time I ever saw the down Stewarts Lane being used was
during engineering works on the viaduct.

The past goes back to the early - mid 1990s, when there were Down
trains sent that way as well as Up. I don't know the last year that
scheduled services used the Down route.

See my reply to MIG - a couple of trains were I believe scheduled to
do this until recently, but apparently hardly ever actually did do so
in reality.

They were much more reliable when the conflicting trains were
Eurostars (the 19.13 and 19.43 from Waterloo), but once the Eurostars
disappeared in November 2007, there was less need. Most of the reports
on gensheet were after Eurostar finished.

It's true that down services have tended to cross backwards and
forwards, going through CHS platforms, then crossing back again before
Peckham Rye.

Pretty much all the services heading for Nunhead and beyond from
Victoria go via the Atlantic lines, although the Chatham lines (the
northern pair) seem to be busier in recent years.

At weekends the diverted Sevenoaks trains (via Nunhead) that would
otherwise be Blackfriars/ Thameslink services go to and from Victoria
- these seem to use the Chatham lines as opposed to the Atlantic
lines.

See the LDB for Denmark Hill, in particular the platforming -
platforms 1&2 serve the Atlantic lines (the southernmost pair),
platforms 3&4 serve the Chatham lines (the northernmost):
http://realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/ldb/station.aspx?T=DMK

At the moment (i.e. as it's a weekend) the Dartford trains and the SLL
are on the Atlantic lines, the Sevenoaks trains are on the Chatham
lines. I've been there a few times recently-ish when there's been some
appallingly late platform changes, but off the top of my head I can't
remember what the particular scenarios were (I do remember helping
people up and down staircases with bags, and also once blocking the
doorway of a train as the driver shouted at me, the intention being to
hold it to allow an elderly-ish couple to get down the stairs and
board.)

PSUL (http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/2010.htm) is a better guide as
to what is supposed to happen

Sevenoaks services now seem to be booked that way all days of the
week, although only in the evenings on weekdays (as you say diverted
from Blackfriars) and with more Down trains than Up. Sundays seem to
be the busiest, but will be engineering work dependant.