Old January 23rd 10, 03:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default South London Line issues [was: ELL Stock in Place]

On 23 Jan, 14:51, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote

Simple question - is the Shard development inherently responsible for
killing off any of the terminating platforms, or is all it might do to
make the remaining terminating platforms to be located a bit further
away from the current concourse i.e. push the buffer stops a little
way further towards the 'country end' of the station?

(For some reason I'd had this vague idea that the Shard was actually
going to be responsible for eating some of the platforms, but I think
I see now that I got that wrong - instead the most it'll do is shift
them further out a little bit, but all that's really happening is that
space in the station is simply being reallocated from the terminating
platforms over to expanding the number through platforms - right? If
so, the Shard itself isn't to blame for the SLL service being kicked
out of LB due to lack of space to accommodate it - as I'm sure I've
heard being suggested - but it's just the whole redevelopment of LB
for Thameslink that's behind it.)

London Bridge has 15 platforms now, and will have 15 platforms when all is
finished. But the Thameslink platforms will be more or less where the
Charing Cross platforms are now, and the Charing Cross platforms will be
more or less on the site of the old South Eastern low level station,
extending a little way into the Brighton train shed. AIUI the Shard wo't ake
any operational space from the station.

Thanks Peter (though I dunno why I didn't just count the total number
of platforms that you said the redeveloped station will have in
earlier posts - d'oh!). Anyhow that firmly puts to bed a
misapprehension that I'd somehow picked up from somewhere.