Old January 25th 10, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

On 25 Jan, 12:59, Mizter T wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:13*pm, MIG wrote:

On 25 Jan, 11:59, MIG wrote:

On 25 Jan, 11:49, Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
Seems to me the basic issue with OSIs and Oyster is that the system
cannot retrospectively spilt a previously combined journey (i.e. one
involving an OSI) into two distinct journeys and charge them as such,
instead of just 'timing out' the combined journey.

If the system could do this, then I think a whole host of problems
might be resolved, however I've no idea whether it would be remotely
do-able - it would require the system to do many more calculations
each time an Oyster card was presented, I think. Maybe this is
something that the next-gen Oyster cards could do? (i.e. the on board
chip could be more complex perhaps...)

I am not sure that that approach would be necessary. *If the system
can already cope with variable timeouts, all it has to do is reset the
timeout at the same time as recalculating an OSI as a continuation.
It wouldn't need to resplit the journey with regard to the fare.

I suppose then there's the (minimal) risk of someone travelling around
all day, doing a few minutes' business only at OSIs, all charged as
one journey.

But is it justifiable to risk overcharging lots of people just to rule
out the tiny possibility of being scammed by someone whose business
involves spending a few minutes at OSIs all day?-

A question (relating to "Bob" in another thread).

Is it possible for a ticket office to terminate a journey for you, eg
when you are in an OSI but want to start a new journey, either with a
long timeout or it's now off peak but wasn't when the first journey
started?

I don't think so - at least, I've never heard of such a thing.

And if so, can they do it without resetting the cap at the same time
(which went wrong for me at Canary Wharf once)? *For the off-peak
scenario, I guess that wouldn't matter.

What happened at Canary Wharf? Let me guess - you were refunded a 'max
journey' charge back on to your card, but that all happened outwith
the context of capping on that day?-

Sort of. I was young and foolish and thought that the Jubilee gateline
would continue an OSI from Heron Quays, having marched well beyond the
(rather badly placed) DLR pad and not bothering to turn back. Instead
it hit me with a "seek assistance", and also terminated the first
journey. I sorted that out at the ticket office, but it seemed to
reset everything, so it was charged as a new journey and the previous
stuff of the day didn't count to the cap as I recall. In that case, I
think I only lost 40p.