Old January 25th 10, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Stratford Signage, National Rail -- DLR platforms

Tim Fardell wrote:

On Friday, I arrived at Stratford Station by train, and started following
the signs for the DLR platforms. These all pointed in the same direction
as "Way Out". The last sign for DLR I saw pointed me straight ahead,
towards the main station exit gate line.

Stratford is a very confusing station for the uninitiated, partially because
it's the combination of separate high/low level stations, partially because
the platform numbering is literally all over the place due to changes in the
last fifteen years, partially because neither passenger foot tunnel links
every platform and partially because improvement works that aim to increase
the capacity mean that the routes through the station keep getting opened
and closed. Just to add to the troubles it's a combined station for TfL and
National Express and it's often not clear who is responsible for what.

I don't know which train you were on or which platform you came in at, but
for most of the platforms the signs *should* be taking you to the western
most foot tunnel which comes out on the Jubilee Line side of the concourse,
where you can get an escalator up to the mezzanine and walk straight onto
the DLR platform. (If you're using either the Central Line or Shenfield
metro westbound that come in on the island platform 3 & 5 then you can take
a direct footbridge over the Central Line to the DLR. Be warned that some
late evening and weekend Shenfield metros used the fast tracks and so come
in on platform 9 instead.)

Ideally there need to be signs in concourse for DLR bound passengers who've
come from the foot tunnels to tell them to do a 180 degree turn and use the
escalators up to the mezzanine. But I'm not sure where you'd put them on the
exit side where there are already crowd flow problems that additional sign
clutter will not help.