Old January 25th 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Stratford Signage, National Rail -- DLR platforms

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Tim Fardell wrote:

On Friday, I arrived at Stratford Station by train, and started
following the signs for the DLR platforms. These all pointed in the
same direction as "Way Out". The last sign for DLR I saw pointed me
straight ahead, towards the main station exit gate line.

Stratford is a very confusing station for the uninitiated, partially
because it's the combination of separate high/low level stations,
partially because the platform numbering is literally all over the
place due to changes in the last fifteen years, partially because
neither passenger foot tunnel links every platform and partially
because improvement works that aim to increase the capacity mean that
the routes through the station keep getting opened and closed. Just
to add to the troubles it's a combined station for TfL and National
Express and it's often not clear who is responsible for what.
I don't know which train you were on or which platform you came in
at, but for most of the platforms the signs *should* be taking you to
the western most foot tunnel which comes out on the Jubilee Line side
of the concourse, where you can get an escalator up to the mezzanine
and walk straight onto the DLR platform. (If you're using either the
Central Line or Shenfield metro westbound that come in on the island
platform 3 & 5 then you can take a direct footbridge over the Central
Line to the DLR. Be warned that some late evening and weekend
Shenfield metros used the fast tracks and so come in on platform 9
instead.)
Ideally there need to be signs in concourse for DLR bound passengers
who've come from the foot tunnels to tell them to do a 180 degree
turn and use the escalators up to the mezzanine. But I'm not sure
where you'd put them on the exit side where there are already crowd
flow problems that additional sign clutter will not help.

Maybe the signs are already correct for the new DLR extension's platforms
(ie the old NLL platforms) and someone has forgotten to blank them out...

Paul S