Old January 25th 10, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Dulieu Steve Dulieu is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jan 25, 4:08 pm, "Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:09 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

MIG remarked:
Is it possible for a ticket office to terminate a journey for you,
eg when you are in an OSI but want to start a new journey, either
with a long timeout or it's now off peak but wasn't when the first
journey started?

It's an added complication, but maybe you need a new kind of
validator (on the wall somewhere near a ticket office) which
terminates your journey *now* if you touch on it.

No, that would make it all to complicated.

And it's not already????

Theoretically, no - you just touch-in at the beginning of your
journey, and touch-out at the end. (OK, just one minor complication -
you touch on a pink route validator when you pass one if you're
specifically routing your journey to avoid zone 1.)

What's a shame is that the OSI system (or at least the implementation
thereof) appears to be causing a certain degree of grief.

Although that minor complication could be getting a bit less minor,
yesterday I traveled from Kingston to Hammersmith via Richmond. At Richmond
I saw a yellow oyster pad on the platform as I got off the train from
Kingston "Ah-ha thinks I, just the thing to end my journey and let my staff
pass take over". Just in time I noticed that the display said "touch here
for interchange" and that the yellow pad had the word "Pink" handwritten
twice above and below the oyster symbol in blue biro. At which point I
decided that it was belt and braces time and exited the barrier with my
oyster, turned around and came back in with my staff pass. I must admit,
that from my first weekend (see tale of woe up thread) I'm not hugely
impressed.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.