Old January 25th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

On Jan 25, 6:08*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Steve Dulieu wrote:
Although that minor complication could be getting a bit less minor,
yesterday I traveled from Kingston to Hammersmith via Richmond. At
Richmond I saw a yellow oyster pad on the platform as I got off the
train from Kingston "Ah-ha thinks I, just the thing to end my journey
and let my staff pass take over". Just in time I noticed that the
display said "touch here for interchange" and that the yellow pad had
the word "Pink" handwritten twice above and below the oyster symbol
in blue biro. At which point I decided that it was belt and braces
time and exited the barrier with my oyster, turned around and came
back in with my staff pass. I must admit, that from my first weekend
(see tale of woe up thread) I'm not hugely impressed.

There have been posts here suggesting that these (and many other) LU/LO/NR
interchange stations still need both yellow AND pink validators on the
platforms, as pax may still need to touch in having arrived on a NR paper
ticket from outside the zones.

I'm sure someone posted last year that the platform validators at West
Brompton had been changed to Pink, yet still functioned as Yellow at the
same time as well. * I can see that working if the Oyster card has't been
touched IN before, but how can the system decide whether to treat a
subsequent touch (having started elsewhere) as either interchange or a touch
OUT correctly? Hope that makes sense...

My understanding is that the Pink interchange validators are exactly
the same as yellow for starting and ending journeys, but also act to
validate an interchange when there might be alternative routes. In
other words, they will mark a journey as having been ended (and the
relevant fare charged), unless a later OUT validation happens at
another location. Touching OUT at the second spot calculates the
correct fare 'via' the first validator and either deducts or adds the
relevant amount to the balance. So without the second validation, you
have touched OUT normally.