Old January 25th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Salmon[_4_] John Salmon[_4_] is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

"Mizter T" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote:
"MIG" wrote

And there's never been any proper reason for refusing to put day
travelcards on Oyster anyway. It's extra money up front, and the punter
still buys into the Oyster system. Instead of charging an uncapped
maximum single fare for unresolved journeys, the system could charge a
day travelcard instead, and let the punter use it as such thereafter.

That sounds like a very good idea. Is there any technical reason why it
can't be done?

Why's it a good idea? There's absolutely no need or calling for it (esp.
now that PAYG is acceptable on NR) - if you want a Day Travelcard, you get
a Day Travelcard. Why totally muddy the waters by offering it on Oyster,
especially now.

Prior to this month I had been using Day Travelcards during most of my
visits to London, but I hoped and believed that this would no longer be
necessary now that all NR lines within the zones are included within the
validity of Oyster PAYG. Unfortunately it is now clear that the behaviour
of Oyster PAYG at OSIs is seriously screwing things up for quite a few of
the regular posters on here and on uk.r. I think both MIG and I are looking
for a solution that gets round this problem. The suggestion that Day
Travelcards might be made capable of being put on Oyster seems to be one
such way. Another would be to provide some means of definitively ending a
journey at a location classed as an OSI, i.e. a means of preventing the
system from linking journeys when the customer doesn't want this to happen.

I am rather surprised that an apparent advocate of Oyster should now be
seriously suggesting that some categories of passenger should need to take
the seemingly retrograde step of reverting to the use of paper Day
Travelcards.