Old January 26th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

On Jan 26, 9:31*pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

I touched in at Gispy Hill just before 11am. *An RPI did an on-train
ticket inspection on the NLL, and he didn't find anything odd with my
Oyster then. *I touched out at Hackney Central at 12:33 and was
charged £3.10 for the journey from Gipsy Hill to Hackney Central.
(Which is odd, because I thought a two-zones rail journey should only
be £1.50)

Gipsy Hill - Hackney Central looks like it is calculated as a via zone
1 fare and this price you paid is the same as that given on the TfL
fare finder. Did you touch in the pink interchange validator at
Willesden Junction, when you changed trains, to show that you had
travelled that way?

I walked to Hackney Downs, and touched in about 12:40. *I touched out
at Bruce Grove at 13:03 and was charged an extra £1.50 for the
journey
from Hackney Downs to Bruce Grove.

So start to end journey time was over two hours, which is over the
maximum time allowed for the overall trip from Gipsy Hill - Bruce
Grove (this counts as a journey crossing five zones and has a maximum
time of 110 mins). The National Rail journey planner shows this
journey as taking 76-78 mins.

See
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oyster...aximum_journey...

What I think happened is when the OP touched in at Hackney Downs, the
system checked the maximum journey time for Gipsy Hill - Hackney Downs.
This is 4 zones/100 minutes. It looks like he had taken just over 100
minutes so the system treated it as a new journey, rather than extending
the old one.

I was trying to work out the times but you beat me to it. It would be
interesting to see what would have happened if going to Stamford Hill
took 108 mins, having taken 101 mins to the touch in at Hackney
Downs. (Journey time being six minutes between the stations).