Old January 27th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Fardell Tim Fardell is offline

Default Stratford Signage, National Rail -- DLR platforms

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Mizter T wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:22*pm, Tim Fardell tim.fardell.all-your-
wrote:
On Friday, I arrived at Stratford Station by train, and started following
the signs for the DLR platforms. These all pointed in the same direction
as "Way Out". The last sign for DLR I saw pointed me straight ahead,
towards the main station exit gate line.

When I reached the main station exit, there were no further visible signs
for the DLR. The last one I saw pointed me straight out through the ticket
gates. If I had followed the signs, I would have gone straight out through
the gates into the outside world. It's only because I realised that I
really didn't want to exit the station that I asked an official where the
DLR platforms were.

Apparently, you have to about-turn and look backwards to see where the DLR
is.

This is crap, and I would imagine leads to an awful lot of people going
out of the station looking for the DLR, then having to talk their way back
in having discovered their "mistake".

Is there anyone I can moan at about this?

Overall responsibility for Stratford station lies with London
Underground, so you could try contacting them via the web form on the
TfL website, going through the menus and I suppose choosing
"Accessibility, maintenance and upkeep" - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact

Or maybe you could contact DLR as an interested party - their web
form, reached via the above URL, is rather simpler - see:
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/dlr/default.asp

If you look at the above page, you'll see further contact details on a
column on the right hand side - with an email address for DLR customer
services, and also one for corporate/ DLR project enquiries - whilst
the former will put you in touch with the plain vanilla CD department
at Serco Docklands (the operator of the DLR), I think the latter will
likely put you in touch with someone at DLR Ltd, which is the TfL
subsidiary (and a part of TfL's London Rail division) that is
responsible for oversight of the DLR. They might actually be the best
bet for a targeted and concise missive, then again they might simply
refer it on to the normal CS people.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have submitted a suggestion to TFL that an additional sign should be
added to advise passengers that they need to turn around and go up the
stairs to find the DLR.

I will report back if I hear anything, but my hopes are not high!