Old January 27th 10, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default best way to get around london for 3&half days

On Jan 27, 10:49*pm, "solar penguin"
wrote:

MIG wrote:

The trouble is that the attractiveness to the punter isn't the main
consideration (if it's a consideration at all).

There was very strong determination to introduce Oyster and PAYG,
despite the popularity of travelcards (day and season), as evidenced
by the penalty cash fares for people not using it and the attempts to
claim that it was the new travelcard (and getting done by Advertising
Standards).

Good point. *If Oyster really were as brilliant as the TfL-apologists
like to claim, there'd be no need to bribe us to use it by increasing
the cost of real tickets.

Re MIGs initial point - that attractiveness to the punter isn't a
significant consideration - well, I disagree strongly, I think that's
utter balls - it's one of a few points in this (and another) thread
that I want to get back to when I get a moment.

However, I think I've previously been branded (was it by you?) as an
"Oyster apologist", whatever that means, so perhaps anything I say
will be disregarded. What I do know is lots of people who find Oyster
incredibly convenient and useful. But I'll happily advise someone to
get a Day Travelcard if I think that's the best solution - check my
TOC or anyone like that. I'm just interested in it all.