Old January 28th 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 'TfL's 'Scrooge-like' £1 ticket for short-cut criticised'

On Jan 28, 3:38*pm, "Batman55" wrote:

"martin" wrote:
on BBC London News this lunchtime:
"Transport for London (TfL) has been called "stingy" and "Scrooge-
like" for imposing a £1 charge on rail passengers using a short-cut
through a station."

Full story at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8484960.stm

What's the real deal here? Is this just a charge to enter one station
and exit another, or if I got the Jubilee to Southwark and exited
through an exit at Waterloo East, would I be charged an extra quid?
(I've never used Waterloo East, and think I've only been to Southwark
once, so I'm not clear on the layout of the station or this
'expensive' corridor.)

====================

It is perfectly reasonable for passengers to alight at Waterloo East and
want to go to Blackfriars Road, for which the Southwark tube exit is ideal.
Walking towards Waterloo and then back again is ridiculous and the fact that
this wasn't thought through when the station was opened shows very poor
judgement. It is true that the exit for Waterloo East is shown as via
Waterloo (and the signs to Southwark just say Jubilee Line), but it still
needs sorting out.

It was thought through though - it was a condition of the planning
permission given for Southwark tube station that no new intermediate
exit from Waterloo East onto the street be created. Presumably this
was done to keep surrounding residential areas quieter.