Old January 29th 10, 03:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default What Would You Do Women Dressed all in Black?

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:33:35 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
d wrote this:-

Mrs Thatcher pushed the Single European Act through to further this.

AFAIK and as far as I can find out via google, that didn't have anything to
say about handing over the keys to No.10 to unelected eurocrats.

If there are any keys they are not held by "unelected eurocrats".
They may well be held by unelected British officials though.

Some Tories did say at the time that it was handing over control to
the EU.

Looks like they were right. But brussels is all in favour of state control

Quite the reverse. They are very much in favour of the private
sector. See, for example, their encouragement of splitting up
railways into various companies and the breaking of "monopolies" on
the railways.

and micromanaging of pretty much everything

Again a myth. What is the case is that UK officials have a tendency
to gold plate Directives, and then blame the EU.

so no real surprises the labour
party fell in love with the idea of a federal europe and president.

This is one of the many things Ken Clarke has right. The idea that a
Frenchman is going to be less argumentative and willing to swap
France for a superstate is risible. They are just as proud of being
French now that they use the Euro.

There are some very odd ideas about the EU and indeed the mainland.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54