Old January 29th 10, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway
Matthew Geier[_4_] Matthew Geier[_4_] is offline

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:31:42 -0800, ticketyboo wrote:

- But, if more than one of those cards collects enough power to operate,
the terminal then has to use the anti-collision mechanism specified by
the standard (ISO 14443 in the case of Oyster and bank payment cards -
and also for ITSO cards) in order to identify all the operating cards,
send the ones that it doesn't want to communicate with to sleep, and
then carry out its transaction.

My experience with having a (new) Singapore CEPAS ezlink in my wallet is
an Oyster terminal says 'multiple cards presented' and then won't
continue until you remove the other cards from it's field so it only sees
one.

And the Singapore card has a better antenna - I discovered that the LU
gates were still getting upset - I had removed my oyster from my wallet
and was placing it on the reader to open the gates - but as I walked
through the gates beeped. It dawned on me later, the Oyster pad must have
been getting a response from the Singapore CEPAS card as I walked through
the gate - at range of over 20cm between my hip pocket and the Oyster
reader pad. (The Oyster card being my my hand or back in my shirt pocket
by this stage).