Old January 30th 10, 06:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway
ticketyboo ticketyboo is offline

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

On Jan 29, 5:00*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 29 Jan, 14:31, ticketyboo wrote:

And the terminal does not implement the anti-collision function...

I have a Smartlink (similar to Oyster) card for PATH in New Jersey.
It works fine with my Oyster card next to it, but the Oyster will
never read unless I take the Smartlink card away. *Not too much of a
problem in this case, since I'm seldom going to want to use both on
the same day, but it could be a real problem as these cards become
more common if you need to carry several around with you, and they
interfere with each other. *Clearly they don't have to do this, as the
Smartlink readers will quite happily ignore the Oyster card.

Which further suggests that indeed today Oyster does not implement the
anti-collision function. Maybe the next generation of Oyster terminals
will do that - they have to be rather more powerful, in order to be
able to handle all of the ITSO card types (about 4 in truth) as well
as Oyster and contactless bank payment).